3.20.2012

art class: take one

I was an avid visual artist in junior high. I was set up for success when I applied for a spot in a visual arts program at a different high school. I ended up picking the drama program and then ended up switching to my current high school. With the configuration of my class schedule, I never took an art class until this last semester of high school. It's the grade 10/sophomore class, but I find myself learning just as expected! I've learned some humility because some of those kids are crazy talented. 

I've been fighting a small battle inside since the beginning of the year about whether or not to take my last year of drama, Drama 30-P. I took 20P last year, and have taken a drama class every year since grade 7. The reasons why I thought of not taking the class is because the 20/30 class was combined last year, so I saw firsthand how much dedication is required. I know I have the dedication skills, but since I decided not to take the class, I have way more flexibility. You cannot miss a drama class or else. Now I can extend my spring break by a day (I'm leaving for Arizona with my best friends on Sunday!!) and miss school for my upcoming choir trip to San Francisco, etc. 

But I've continued this inner battle because I hate missing out on what I could be doing. I see my friends going to class and I miss it! But I felt that I would be taking the class in part to please other people, and I'm trying to work on getting over that.  It's my last semester of high school and living in Canada in general (surreal!)and I want to enjoy it and not be stressed out of my brains all day yet. I want to be able to hang out with my friends before we part in the fall. Plus I've overcome the feeling of daily insistent stress when I finished math, so I'd rather not go back to that. So that is why I am taking Art 10. Though most days I'd rather not be in class, I'm happy that I'm doing this and will have some artwork to show for it, starting with my latest (being since junior high) painting I just completed!

Ta-da!


Being overly prone to perfectionism, I wasn't completely happy with it but I'm happy enough! I just so happened to pick one of the hardest things to draw, a car, but it's my dream car (1957 Chevy Bel-Aire) and therefore worth it. Currently I'm working on a drawn self-portrait, and I'll show you all after I've overcome the urge to avoid class and finish it!


Love,
Megan Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment