{Even though this will be posted on the 18th, remember that Sunday, March 17th, is the lucky day we're talking about here.}
Once upon a time, I became friends with these lovelies.
Once upon a time, I became friends with these lovelies.
Jeni and Bayley are both in my ward. I knew Bayley first because she is on my floor and is roommates with my friend Katie (who helped me pick this floor when I was moving dorms between semesters). Jeni and Bayley were already friends before I moved in, and recently we have all been getting close and hanging out a bunch! We went to Salt Lake last weekend, had a sleepover, went laser tagging, dollar movies at midnight, etc. We are all a lot alike- we love vintage, have the same style, and are all around rockstars.
Back to this day of luck, St. Paddy's, this evening I went to hang out with Jeni and Bayley in the lobby (our weekly pool night with our friend Ben). Jeni and I were sitting on the couch and she asked me if I was Irish. Here's our conversation:
M- " Yeah, a little bit, I'm a Murphy."
J- " Really? I am too!"
M-" Yeah! My grandma's maiden name is Murphy."
J- "No way! That's my grandma's maiden name! What's your grandma's first name?"
M- "Marilyn!"
J- "What?! etc etc etc"
M- "What's your grandma's name?"
J- "Donna!"
At this point we are fa-reaking out because we realize that our grandmas are sisters. Not just regular sisters; they were uber close. They were best friends and did everything together! My grandma passed away over a year and a half ago, and I remember meeting Donna and Johnny at her funeral. Donna reminded me so much of Grandma, and I thought that she was the closest thing to Grandma. They live in California, so there was really no way of me ever getting to know them.
Since 8 o'clock this evening, we have been chatting up a storm. We googled it, and we are definitely second cousins. We have the same great-grandparents. She is the youngest in her family, and I am also the youngest, and we have few cousins that are close to our age. My closest cousins and kindred spirit Maddie is a year and 30 days younger than me, so Jeni is a smidgen closer in age!
This is seriously so crazy and exciting. I am losin' my mind!
I've literally been fulfilling my Parent Trap dream, except the grandparent edition. I have this photo of my grandparents when they were dating, and Jeni's grandparents happen to be cropped out of this version. Jeni's seen the whole photo so you know that scene in the Lindsay Lohan version where they're like-
"That's my dad!"
"That's my mum!" as they compare the two photos?
We did that! Oh my soul.
It gets even better. We are now planning an epic post finals road trip to Jeni's home in California to see her mission farewell (She leaves to the Philippines in 53 days), DISNEYLAND, Balboa Island, Taiko sushi, antique shopping, regular shopping, beaching, the works! I'll also be able to hang out with Donna and Johnny which will be wonderful.
All in all, this has so far been the best St. Patrick's Day ever. I'm pretty sure nothing will ever beat it. I mean, I found a long lost Irish cousin for mercy's sake! Fate, destiny- you are in my favor. Good thing I wore my four leaf clover necklace today. Lucky lucky luck!
Lots o' love,
Megan
P.S.


This is amazing!!
ReplyDeleteYou two even look like sisters! I just know Grandma Allen had something to do with you two getting together.
ReplyDeleteWOW!
ReplyDelete