Here we are, nearly a month and a half since I returned, and I'm finally finishing my posts about our continental trip. On the last Friday, we left Paris early and drove to Auvers-ser-Oise where Van Gogh worked, lived and died. Do you recognize this church? I did after I saw his painting of it. Nothing beats standing the the same place an infamous artist stood at 9 in the morning.
We walked through a tranquil muddy field to get to the cemetery where he was buried next to his brother. Is it bad that I loved this graveyard? Everything was just beautiful.
Next stop was the much awaited Giverny (Gee-ver-knee) (Gjee-ver-nay) (Give-er-ny?).
Monet's garden was a delight, and his house was also surprisingly perfect. The only damper was the bathroom line that was as slow as slow can be (the folks we shared all of these sights with were 60+).
Next we visited the somber site of the D-Day Normandy beaches. We started in the visitors center, and as you leave there is a constant reading of names of those who have died. I felt no need to speak. Whispering felt as if I was interrupting something. This is a somber place that truly brings you to question the world and its horrors, as well as reflect with gratitude for those who have come before you and sacrificed for you.
We made it through the Channel Tunnel, and then London- home sweet home- it was.
We walked through a tranquil muddy field to get to the cemetery where he was buried next to his brother. Is it bad that I loved this graveyard? Everything was just beautiful.
Next stop was the much awaited Giverny (Gee-ver-knee) (Gjee-ver-nay) (Give-er-ny?).
Monet's garden was a delight, and his house was also surprisingly perfect. The only damper was the bathroom line that was as slow as slow can be (the folks we shared all of these sights with were 60+).
Next we visited the somber site of the D-Day Normandy beaches. We started in the visitors center, and as you leave there is a constant reading of names of those who have died. I felt no need to speak. Whispering felt as if I was interrupting something. This is a somber place that truly brings you to question the world and its horrors, as well as reflect with gratitude for those who have come before you and sacrificed for you.
Bayeux
Bayeux was a sweet, sweet surprise. I absolutely loved everything about my 18 hours there.
First, 9 of us ended up the the most random, perfect bed and breakfast. A family ran the place, and chickens, rabbits, cats, and dogs ran in the yard. I slept in the comfiest bed in the most quaint and randomly decorated rooms, and had breakfast at a family style table with all my friends, and ate the most delicious meal that was prepared by the mother of the family, who sat on the couch with a cat on her shoulders while we ate. The town was charming and the cathedral was magnificent. I also ate the best sweet and savory crepes I have ever had in my life at this family's restaurant that was alongside a pond with a waterwheel attached to it. I was simply happy. This was the perfect ending to my first French adventure.
We made it through the Channel Tunnel, and then London- home sweet home- it was.

Such gorgeous photos, Megan! I have to go there someday! Miss you!
ReplyDelete