This mass post of much delight is brought to you by our class trip to the north of England and Scotland this past week. Full of wind, plaid, museum visits and bus insanity, this is one post you'll be sure not to miss.
Day 1: Monday, October 28th
Liverpool in the morning, Preston at night.
We left town early in the morning (5:30 to be exact) and arrived in Liverpool at 10:30. I had time to visit the Maritime Museum (Titanic anyone?), eat at Nando's for the first time and see the statue erected in honor of the Pioneers, my ancestors included, who left for America via Liverpool. Oh, and pictures. There is always time for pictures.
![]() |
| photo cred to Alyssa. Check out her blog of utmost wonder here. I mean seriously, I love this girl! |
![]() |
| A cool random building for you DAD. |
We spent the night in Preston visit the temple, talking a walking church history tour around town, and wondering why Preston looked like Sandy Utah, I missed that English personality! At least our hotel was the ultimate.
Day 2: Tuesday, October 29th
Ambleside and Grasmere otherwise known as gems in the Lake District.
Right on the 11 mile long Lake Windermere, Ambleside does not disappoint.
Our first stop was at the Wordsworth Center. We learned and handled precious documents and items, ate famous Grasmere gingerbread, and I held Wordsworth's 1674 copy of Paradise Lost.
Our hostel was right on the shore, and therefore was surprisingly gorgeous. We took a boat ride around the lake which was as picturesque as it sounds except for the rain, even then it was still magical.
The night concluded with a themed group dinner consisting of lambs stew, smashed carrots, boiled potatoes, lemonade, and pudding. After that best meal, we took a basically candlelit tour of Wordsworth's house, Dove Cottage. All around it was the best day. I also managed to finish my schedule for next semester of school to perfection. (Perfection being no class on Friday and skiing on Wednesday).
![]() |
| again, thanks Alyssa! |
![]() |
| and thanks one more time. |
Day 3: Wednesday, October 30
I slept in, took a morning stroll, and got on the bus to travel to Edinburgh! We arrived around 5 in the evening to rain and an already dark night. After checking in at the Isis Hotel (which was right in the middle of town) Drew and I went to eat pizza at Bella Italia, which my mom recommended. After waiting for our check from out waiter named Nacho forever, and playing with the wax candle and sharing two desserts, we took a walk around the city.
Halloween in Edinburgh? Don't mind if I do. We started the day out with a tour of Edinburgh Castle. It was quite cold and windy up there on the hill, but I managed to see the war memorial room, Scottish crown jewels, and the tiniest of chapels and enjoy the view. Our guide was a true Scottish woman who was also hilarious- that's her in the horse head. We walked down to the Elephant House for lunch. The hot cocoa was superior (so was the sandwich, not pictured) and I signed the wall in the bathroom, as one Harry Potter fan is apt to do. We had a group tour of the National Gallery in the afternoon, and I found some new favorite artworks. Then it was time for Halloween festivus! We ate dinner at a pub and I tried haggis which deep fried was kind of delicious. We went on a walking ghost tour at night that took us around the alleyways and into the underground vaults. I was only truly scared once (and should it could if it was a cheap trick?). It was also a Celtic festival that night so the streets were hoppin'. It was my first Halloween without a costume, but I wore black so it should count. Oh yes! We ended the night telling ghost stories in the Greyfrier cemetary. Truly spooky.
Day 5: Friday, November 1st
This morning was another early one. We drove through the windy hills of Scotland into England in the morning. We made a stop at Hadrian's Wall and played on the Roman ruins. We had lunch in Thirsk where I perfected my Cora Grantham impersonation (Oh Robert). We arrived that evening in York. We attended Eucharist at York Minster Cathedral, which is glorious. That night in York was some type of light festival called Spark. Drew and I happened upon this Viking God celebration/ interpretive dance in a courtyard behind the cathedral. It cannot truly be explained. It involved colorful smoke that smelled really good, terrible electric guitar music, and people who acted like this was a totally normal occurrence. Dinner was at this adorable cafe where I had a goat's cheese souffle that was out of this world. We trekked back to our hostel and I snuggled into the loft for a good nights rest.
Day 6: Saturday, November 2
We left York in the morning, and arrived at Fountain's Abbey. We had a few hours to explore the ruins. Highlights for me were singing Tiger Mountain Peasant Song with Drew in an empty stone hall that had amazing acoustics, and lunch at the tea room at the edge of the park. Then, the rest of the day was spent on the couch. I finally was able to work on some school work while the bus watched the most knocked off version of Puss and Boots. I was sad to say farewell to the north. I fell in love- and I fell into eating a lot of good food.











































No comments:
Post a Comment