What a week!
Except for Thursday and today when I had to work all day, I was able to go out and volunteer everyday this week. I've had such an amazing experience so far! Clean up has only begun, so I know there is lots more to do. I've met the kindest, most gracious people. On Wednesday I went back with Abby to Rideau Park. We met at this family's home who had most of their basement cleaned out; we just needed to load the dumpsters. The man who owned this home is a provincial/city judge and said that we had a get out of jail free card for the rest of our lives! They were awesome. And while I was in the basement vacuuming, I found an old TMNT watch. I showed their grown son, and he was stoked. I guess one of the boys had hidden it in the chimney a long time ago and somehow it ended up in the basement wall. He said he was going to get it fixed and surprise his brother. Little stories like this warm my heart while I'm busy throwing a life's worth of valuables in the trash! Seriously, watches, fur coats, tvs, scrapbooks, shoes, everything is tossed. People sure are resilient.
I had no need to bring lunch, water or snacks because everywhere I looked I could find someone handing out anything you could need. There was a food truck parked on the corner that Shaw had paid for unlimited food for the homeowners and volunteers. It's evident that everyone here really cares about one another.
Yesterday a group of us headed out to Bragg Creek. Their command center at the community center was top notch. We went to a house down the highway and tore out a deck that was in the creek, sorted and loaded the garbage.
{photos stolen from Ginette off facebook- thanks!}
In other news, I started working at the till at Home Depot, and it's a very nice change of pace from the online training I've been doing all week. Today I worked at the self checkout station and learned all about that. Also, my mom has just returned from her 10 day escapade to Utah. Hooray!
Love,
M


No comments:
Post a Comment